Membership of HIMAA is available in several categories - Full, Associate, Senior Associate Student, and Organisational as well as others.
- A physical copy of the HIMJ 3 times a year, our peer reviewed research journal of HIMAA and the HIM-I, the professional practice journal of HIMAA as well as online access to both.
- PULSE+IT Magazine, Australasia's First and Only eHealth and Health IT Magazine.
- Discounted rates for the HIMAA Annual National Conference, HIMAA State Branch Professional Development Events, HIMAA Workshops and other networking opportunities.
- Access to the monthly eNewsletter via email and at the HIMAA website for updates in the HIM community and from HIMAA itself.
- Regular eAlert broadcasts to notify you of upcoming HIMAA Events or important information from the industry.
- The opportunity to participate in HIMAA's Professional Credentialling Scheme to enhance your standing as a HIM professional (Full and Associate Members only).
The membership year is for the period of 12 months from the date of full payment of membership fee. The membership date is defined as the anniversary date on which full payment is received by HIMAA Membership Services. The completion and submission of a membership application form does not, without payment, constitute membership.
Individuals who are graduates of accredited Australian health information management university programs are invited to apply for this category. Full members have voting rights in the association.
New Graduate Member
A discounted membership fee is offered to graduates who take up Full Membership within 12 months of graduating accredited Australian health information management programs.
- Click here for the New Graduate Member brochure
- Click here for the New Graduate Member Application Form
Senior Associate Member
To be eligible for the Senior Associate category, a person must:
- Be a graduate of an approved program in clinical coding, health informatics, health, business, management or information systems / IT, OR
- Have a minimum of five (5) years senior-level experience within the health information industry.
Graduates of any of HIMAA's clinical coding programs will be eligible for Senior Associate membership.
Member Rights and Privileges:
- Full voting rights
- Eligible for CPD and certification
- All membership benefits
- Eligible for election to any State/Territory Branch Committee or the National Board (excluding the position of National President/Vice-President or Branch President)
- Click here for the Senior Associate Member brochure
- Click here for the Senior Associate Member Application Form
For those who are working in, involved in or affiliated with the health information management profession, or a related professional field, but who do not have qualifications enabling membership as a Full Member. Associate Members are eligible to vote at general meetings of HIMAA Ltd and State Branches, and may be elected/appointed to State Branch committee/sub-committee and national committees but are not eligible to be elected to the National Board.
As at 1 July 2012 Students of Health Information Management programs at the following institutions:
- Queensland University of Technology
- La Trobe University, and
- Curtin University
Are eligible for free student membership of HIMAA. Any student, regardless of status (part-time or full-time) who is studying at HIMAA accredited course is eligible for free membership.
Students who are a HIMAA student member at the time of completing their course have a 6 month "grace" period following completion of their course in which to convert to Full member status (at the Full member discounted rate). The Full member discounted rate applies for the first 12 months of membership. During the "grace' period the member will retain the status and benefits of a student member.
Student members may opt to pay a student subscriber rate to receive the HIMJ in hardcopy format in addition to having free access to the HIMJ online. Current subscription paying student members will continue to receive the hardcopy HIMJ until their membership is due for renewal, at which time they can choose to continue/ discontinue their subscription.
Student members who do not elect to pay the student subscriber rate ONLY receive access to the HIMJ online version.
Voting rights and eligibility for committees are as for Associate Members (See above).
- Click here for the Student Member brochure
- Free HIM Student Membership Invitation
- Click here for the Student Member Application Form
Any organisation is eligible to join HIMAA as an organisational member if:
- Its objectives are compatible with those of the association, and
- It is involved in or affiliated with the health information management field or a related professional field.
HIMAA offers a discounted rate (80% of normal member subscription) where a company nominates and pays for three or more employees to be members of HIMAA. The employer also receives unlimited, free advertisements on HIMAA's Workweb recruitment site.
There are Three categories of membership that would apply to employees, namely Full Member (qualified HIM), Senior Associate or Associate Member (not a qualified HIM). By joining HIMAA as an organisational member your employees receive all the rights, privileges and member benefits of "normal" members. The annual membership subscription rates that would apply are as follows:-
Australia Rate (incl. GST)
Full Member AUD$255.00 (normal rate $315.00)
Associate Member AUD$186.00 (normal rate $232.00)
Overseas Rate (excl. GST, incl. Overseas Postage)
Full Member AUD$288.00 (normal rate $360.00)
Associate Member AUD$216.00 (normal rate $270.00)
Organisational membership provides access to a rich source of information for nominated employees within your organization, plus other benefits.
The multiple year, advance purchase of membership is not available to Organisational Members.
However, nominated employees' continuity of membership is preserved in the event that they subsequently join HIMAA as an individual member.
Full members who have practiced in health information management for a significant period and who have made an outstanding contribution to the profession. Selection to be by the Board and contingent on the member's maintenance of their professional standing.
Persons not otherwise eligible for membership of the association who, in the opinion of the Board, have made a significant contribution to health information management or rendered distinguished service to the health information profession.
Associates, Full Members or Fellows who, in the opinion of the Board, have made a significant contribution to health information management or rendered distinguished service to the health information management profession.
A concessional membership rate is available for persons who, at the time of application and for the period of membership purchased, are otherwise eligible to be an Associate Member, Full Member or Fellow of the association but who are not in full-time or regular part-time employment, or have retired from the workforce on a permanent basis.
Applicants are required to lodge with their application/renewal, substantiation of their eligibility for this category for the applicable subscription period.
HIMAA has offered an extension of the advanced purchase discount scheme to concessional membership rate, previously these members could only purchase their HIMAA membership on an annual basis.
1. Download the appropriate application form (Select the appropriate application form from those below)
2. After completion of the application form, please check that you have:
- Provided a proposer (this can be an existing member or yourself)
- Supplied the necessary substantiation documentation (see below)
- Signed and dated the form
NOTE: Please do NOT send in payment with your application form. You will be invoiced the correct amount after approval.
3. Fax, post or scan/email the completed form to:
Locked Bag 2045
NORTH RYDE NSW 1670
Fax: (02) 9887 5895
4. HIMAA will confirm the receipt of your application, and an invitation to proceed with membership will be mailed within 21 days (along with an invoice and receipt).